EN3262   Postcolonial/Postmodern Writing

Semester I, 2010/11

Lecturer: Rajeev S Patke

Lecture Notes

Pramoedya Ananta Toer, House of Glass (1973-75, 1988)

1. The novel uses a dramatized first person narrator, whose complex and destructive relation to his hero-and-quarry provides a concrete embodiment of the tension between two types of colonial consciousness.

2. The narrator analyses several historical processes: (a) the factors characteristic of Javanese culture and the Dutch that enabled colonization; (b) the politics of rival European colonialisms; (c) the slow rise of resistance to colonialism taking shape as nationalism; (d) the role of individual leadership in these types of resistance; and (e) the measures taken by colonial administrators, with decreasing success, to hold back this tide of historical change.

3. At the level of interpersonal relation, the narrator's split between (a) admiration for Minke, and (b) determination to bring him down, opens up a complex attitude to the colonial and the nationalist type of consciousness.

4. A the level of historical analysis the novel offers a set of hypotheses about the manner in which the colonial past shapes the post-colonial present, which is the time-frame of the writing of the novel.

5. The novel carries a potential application for post-colonial predicaments in other parts of the world.

6. The novel's self-reflexivity extends to the implied relation between Minke and Pramoedya as the actual author of the Buru quartet and Minke as the attributed author.

Resource Material for class discussion

1. An Interview with Pramoedya Ananta Toer by Sebastian Tong and Fong Foong Mei

http://www.radix.net/~bardsley/tong_int.html

Q: Back to the Buru Quartet, Minke gets his name from "monkey". But is Minke related to the Monkey God Hanuman in the Ramayana?

PAT: No.

Q: Did the story change when you were finally able to write it down in 1975?

PAT: The writing process is slower and more refined; one needs to be more responsible. The oral process is very different, just telling stories only. The oral form is for entertainment, the written form is for raising consciousness.

Q: The fourth book, House of Glass (Rumah Kaca) seems to be very different from the first three books. Is this because it was written and not spoken?

PAT: I don't feel that there are differences: the four books evolved from a whole concept.

Q: Why did you decide to suddenly change the first person narrator from Minke to Pangemanann in House of Glass (Rumah Kaca)?

PAT: It was not a sudden change, it was part of the concept since the beginning.

Q: Is it more pessimistic than the first three books?

PAT: That depends on the reader, not me.

______________________________________________________________________

Los Angeles Times (Sunday, June 6, 1999) Interview:

http://www.radix.net/~bardsley/ironfist.html

Q: How important was the political turmoil in your country in inspiring you to become a writer?

A: Indonesia is a very young nation, and we are still in the nation-building period. For me, writing is both my personal task and my national task. I believe that my books, such as the Buru Quartet, are part of the process of nation-building.

Michigan Today 1999 Interview:

http://www.umich.edu/~newsinfo/MT/99/Sum99/mt9j99.html

MT: Did you get the background for Minke, your hero who helps lead the Indonesian awakening beginning In 1898, from your father, who was a nationalist leader and educator?
Pramoedya A. Toer: When I was creating Minke's adventures, I had students pore over newspaper stories from the period and wove episodes into the plot. But to learn about the internal politics of the Indonesian nationalist groups from our many islands and regions, I didn't rely on my father but on the Dutch scholar Willem Wertheim. He brought out the characters who had been erased from our history.

Q: Is Minke's nemesis, the sinister Robert Surhoff, based on a real person?
A: I got him from a newspaper article about a Eurasian gang the Dutch had organized to terrorize the people of Jakarta. The Dutch devised a racial classification system similar to the American and South African apartheid scheme. "Indo" was the name for offspring of Dutch and Javanese. The Indos were born into a complex psychological problem, and Surhoff symbolizes the psychological and social confusion felt by many of this ancestry. He felt he was a true Dutchman, but the Dutch did not see him as such, and he thinks of the natives as dirty and low. This causes him to take extreme measures in expressing his racism....

Q: Are you working on a book now?
A: Yes, on one called The Originator, a nonfiction work on the crusading journalist on whom Minke was modeled, Tirto Adhisurjo. The Dutch exiled him to the island of Molucca. His widow's family sent me many important documents that shed light on his life, but government security forces stole them from me and I've never seen them again.

Q: General Suharto's predecessor Sukarno, lndonesia's first leader, also imprisoned you, though briefly. Why was that?
A: That government didn't like the way I championed the rights of our Chinese minority. I admired and studied the awakening of the Chinese nationalist movement in the early 1900s. Indonesians were inspired by the Chinese movement's principles of social justice and internationalism as expressed in the writings of Sun Yat-sen. The Chinese characters who arise in my stories are symbolic of that influence. I try to show history being played out by what my characters say and do. I first learned of what the young Chinese who came to Indonesia were like from my mother.

Q: Now that Suharto Is out of office–what are your hopes for Indonesian-US relations?
A: I have expressed my opinion everywhere that the United States should stop sending arms to Indonesia, that the armed forces are not a stabilizing factor. Your country–the West as a whole–is very influential throughout the world today. It was thanks to some pressure from the Carter administration that I was released in 1979. I ask everyone to help the youth of Indonesia complete the reformation of the nation. If we don't reform our society there will be social revolution, with people attacking, looting, killing. Only effective national leadership can prevent this hopeless outcome. A social revolution without national leadership would result in Indonesia's vanishing from the face of the Earth. Each faction would establish its own autonomous unit, and since, as Sukarno taught us, this century is the century of intervention, our resources would be up for grabs......

Q: Why did the Indonesian government ban your Quartet when its target is Dutch colonialism?
A: Well, apparently Suharto identified with the target! But it was the youth and students who were able to bring down Suharto. His fall was only formal, though; his power is still running. The root of our problems is colonialism. What is going on now is a repetition of what we experienced fighting colonialism. Indonesia is the world's largest maritime nation [more than 200 million people living on 3,000 islands and speaking more than 200 languages–Ed.], yet an army runs it. That is an inheritance from the colonial system and a fatal mistake. It causes many problems.

Q: The hero's guardian angel In the Quartet is Nyal Ontosoroh. the former concubine who wins her freedom and amasses a fortune. How did you happen to invent such a strong female character?
 ["My mother was a person of inestimable value, the flame that burns so bright it leaves no ash. Do not be surprised, therefore, that when I look back at the past I see the Indonesian revolution embodied in the form of a woman–my mother." From The Mute's Soliloquy, Hyperion Press, 1999.]
A: When I would tell my fellow prisoners the stories that became the novels, I would say to them, "Look at her. Look at what she is doing–and she is only a woman! Certainly we men should be able to do more." I wanted her to inspire them. In real life, my mother was an incredibly strong character, although physically she was weakened by tuberculosis and died at 34 when I was 17. When people ask me to say how my mother influenced me, I say that what is in my books–everything–is what I got from my mother. She used to urge me to continue my schooling after I dropped out in junior high. "You must master Dutch," she'd say, "so you can widen your knowledge. Then you must go to Europe and other countries to learn even more. Do not stop until you have a doctoral degree." And now, thanks to my honor from the University of Michigan, I have finally fulfilled everything she wanted....

Part of an essay on Pramoedya

PRAMOEDYA: THE PRICE OF SOCIAL MODERNITY

Pramoedya Ananta Toer’s Buru Quartet (comprising This Earth of Mankind, Child of All Nations, Footsteps and House of Glass) was composed during a fourteen year detention in a work camp for political prisoners on the Indonesia island of Buru. The novels have been translated into English by Max Lane, who — the Penguin edition indicates — had to leave the Australian embassy in Jakarta in 1981 for having translated Pramoedya. The narrative began as orally composed stories told by Pramoedya to his fellow-prisoners when he had no access to his papers or to writing materials. They were eventually transcribed over the period from 1975 to the late 1980s. That a writer so dedicated to the cause of the idea of nation should be imprisoned by an incarnation of that nation, and his books banned by successive nationalist regimes, constitutes one of the abiding ironies of postcolonial nationhood in Southeast Asia.
The quartet offers a complex and ambitious dramatisation of the impact of, and resistance to, Dutch colonial rule in the East Indies over a period ranging from the 1880s to the 1920s. As a sequence, it provides acute historical analysis in the form of a fictional chronicle. It also represents an instance of what I propose to describe as a specific kind of post-modernist writing, while conceding that ‘post-modernist’ as a term is even more problematic than ‘modernist’, especially when applied to writing outside Europe or the West. It is used here in the specific and dual sense of writing which assimilates — while remaining distinct from and subsequent to — modernist practices.
     Pramoedya’s novels may have had their origins in oral story-telling, but the narrative they constitute is marked by a distinctive self-reflexivity which aligns them firmly with the conscious and writerly manipulation of narrative point-of-view. The manner in which distance in attitude and tone is modulated — between implied author and implied reader, and between author, reader and the fictional narrator — would not be possible without the implication of a written text, patterned to point up contrasts that would be difficult to sustain in oral narrative.
     The Buru Quartet is narrated from the point-of-view of two dramatically opposed protagonists. This technique has antecedents in the multiple narrative perspectives exploited by novelists such as James, Ford Madox Ford, Conrad, and Virginia Woolf. In this context, the notion of ‘antecedents’ is meant to suggest a technical lineage and a set of elective affinities, rather than direct influence. In an interview published in Michigan Today (1999), Pramoedya singled out Steinbeck and Saroyan as his admired authors, adding that he learnt English by reading Steinbeck.
     The first three novels adopt a first-person mode which familiarises the reader to the life and early career of an individual of exceptional qualities, called Minke, whose character is partially based on an [OK] historical person who pioneered journalism in the Dutch Indies. He is portrayed as growing — and then outgrowing — the potentially modernising influence of a Dutch colonial education, a process of intellectual maturation initiated by a woman, Nyai Ontosoroh, the mother of his first wife, and an individual whose acumen transcends her own ethnic and gendered subordination in Javanese society, as the mistress of a Dutch businessman. Pramoedya indicates in his interview for Michigan Today that this woman was modelled on his own mother.
     The claim confirms what the early part of the quartet dramatises: the heroic role played by the intuitive and alert woman of exceptional quality, who will show the incipient male leader the path that can lead to his political destiny. Ironically, therefore, the colonies give scope for a more untrammelled politicisation of the impulse to freedom from oppression than found, for example, in D.H. Lawrence’s fictional women, or in Virginia Woolf’s wounded call in Three Guineas, which advises the women of England to withhold support for British participation in the impending World War because their real enemy was not Germany but patriarchy.
Pramoedya’s narrative creates characters who articulate a very precise awareness of their own position in relation to colonial history. They also provide a concrete instance of the general claim made in the first part of my argument that modernism came to Asia as part of colonial influence. In Pramoedya’s case, it shows itself primarily in terms of narrative technique. His narrative focuses on a familiar historical irony: that the incipient leadership from the colonised parts of Asia learned to demand political freedom from the European nations who denied them that freedom but taught them to recognise its worth. It also provides incidental confirmation for the general plausibility of the hypothesis proposed by Fredric Jameson, that colonial writing is characterised by fictions which allegorise the nation. This is an accurate description of a tendency in works like the Buru Quartet. Jameson’s argument has been challenged by Aijaz Ahmad (1986), but it finds incidental support from Pramoedya, who affirmed, in an interview given to the Los Angeles Times (1999): ‘I believe that my books, such as the Buru Quartet, are part of the process of nation-building’.
Minke becomes a focal point for the growth of nationalist opposition to colonial rule. He first learns to modernise his approach to his own society and its outmoded conventions of thought, belief and practice. He then learns to politicise resistance to colonialism, which happens to be the agent of his transformation. The novel treats his will to modernity with a cautious and increasingly post-modern scepticism. The political drive animated through Minke is problematised by virtue of its European derivativeness. In a double irony repeated throughout the colonial world, the modern patriot learns to ask for self-rule from the European nation who denies him access to the freedom it cherishes for itself. To find parallels or antecedents to this phenomenon within European modernism we have to go to a writer like W.B. Yeats, whose commitment to Irish Revivalism — and his later disenchantment with it — remind us that Ireland was England’s first (and remains its last) overseas colony.
     The fourth and final part of the quartet, House of Glass (1988), refracts and partially subverts the foregoing narrative by shifting the narrative persona from Minke to a self-serving police commissioner, Pangemanann, who plots against Minke at the behest of his Dutch masters, and brings about his downfall. The novel’s self-reflexivity extends to the relation between Minke and Pangemanann, who embody divergent viewpoints on Javanese history, in such a way that the fourth novel sharply undercuts what Minke has come to represent through the first three novels.
     Pramoedya may be said to engage in a dialogic meditation on the problems besetting the advent of a modernity mediated to his society by Dutch colonialism. His analysis is rooted to the specific social formations of Javanese history, confirming the plausibility of the claim introduced above through Taylor, that modernity is cultural rather than acultural in its formations. The Quartet begins by foregrounding Minke; by the end it has foregrounded the problems that beset his kind of optimism. As suggested by John David Morley in The New York Times Book Review, ‘Manoeuvred into the background by the plot, he [Minke] is not the book’s true subject — nor is it really the historical awakening of Indonesia. Rather, the author’s chief concern here is with the corrupting influence of colonialism, represented by Pangemanann’ (online).
     The specific irony around which Pramoedya develops the relation between the hunter and the hunted is that Pangemanann is apparently sincere in his admiration for the man he destroys: ‘I would now have to spy on and take actions against this man whom I respected and honoured so much’ (House of Glass, 8). This tortured character sets up a kind of one-sided, Conrad-like, secret-sharer complex with his victim (a regard unreciprocated by Minke). This technical device gives Pramoedya the opportunity to examine the underside of the double-edged modernity inculcated by colonialism in the Javanese. Pangemanann is articulate not only about his admiration for Minke, but also about his disgust at his own commitment to the ruination of this potentially heroic figure. Pangemanann says of himself: ‘They would never know how he had to bow down, with his tortured conscience, becoming, against his will, a man without principles’ (46).
     He is endowed with an analytic frame of mind that is merciless in exposing his own inner corruption. He is living proof that modernity is not the only thing learnt from Europe by the Javanese. His introspections provide the novelist with a vehicle for a sustained analysis of the complex relation between colonialism and the tainted or incomplete modernity it engenders. Pangemanann becomes the mouthpiece for the expression of an embittered irony:
     The great teachers beautifully taught about the enlightenment of the world that would be brought by the Renaissance, the Aufklarüng, about the awakening of humanism, about the overthrow of one class by another that was begun with the French Revolution when the feudal class was removed by the bourgeoisie. They called on the people to side with the progressive march of history. And meanwhile, I was sinking into the disgusting colonial mud. (46–47)
     On the one hand, colonial modernity stands for the capacity to foster reason, the rule of law, a love of liberty, and a respect for organisation and order in governance; on the other hand, it has the disabling capacity to foster disjunctions between righteous principles and their duplicitous implementation. Pramoedya thus sets up an antithetical relation between modernism as a mode of historically self-conscious narrative and modernisation as the mixed blessing of historical necessity. In the downfall of Minke, he ends the quartet on a note of pessimism that is bleak without being hopeless.
     The dual narrative strategy adopted for the Quartet as a whole dramatises several types of complicity: between indigenous nationalism and the elite colonial education system; between women as the agents of modernity and as the victims of patriarchy, ethnocentrism, and colonialism; between colonial rule as the enabler and the disabler of social revolution; between the colonised intellectual as enlightened analyst of his society, and its self-serving, self-loathing subverter. The sequence leaves the reader with a deeply ambiguous sense of what modernity has entailed for Javanese society, and by extension, for other colonial societies on the cusp of similar changes.
     Pramoedya conveys, in no uncertain terms, the inevitability and desirability of modernity, but he is also insistent on its cost to traditional modes of life in Java. A post-modernist technique is deployed to present a view of peoples before they have learnt to recognise themselves as modern nations. In this proleptic and minatory perspective, the complex relations between agency, power, and victimisation are shown as ominously poised between progress and misrule. A narrative technique derived from modernism is applied with great skill and force to open the anxiety that modernity might be a flawed but necessary blessing. Or, to put it differently, the novelist acknowledges and blesses modernity as a flawed necessity.

LAST UPDATED October 19 2010