EL1102 Studying English in Context (Semester 2, 00/01)

Tutorial No. 1 (week beginning 15 January 01)

1. Here is the transcript of the two recordings. Normal spelling has been used as far as possible. Two dots indicate a pause. Listen for a general impression the first time; the second time underline any bits of the pronunciation that you find striking (bearing in mind some of the terms raised in the lecture: rhoticity, glottal stop, intonation). (You might also find bits of the grammar interesting, although we won’t focus on this in this tutorial.)

Speaker 1

Erm .. in the days before husbands and children, erm I did quite a lot of travelling and erm .. one of the th … places I went to was to the Amazon and erm I hadn’t really as why I .. I knew my husband and erm .. then but .. just as a friend really and so we erm decided that we, or he decided that we would go to Brazil and er I’d been travelling anyway .. came back for Christmas, two days to wash my rucksack and off we went to Rio .. and erm I hadn’t given it any thought at all and the next thing I knew we went up to Manaus, which is a free port up on the Amazon where we met some chap who’d got a boat erm which was rather like the African Queen erm .. and I felt like Katharine Hepburn .. and we then erm we went in this boat up the Amazon and then off up one of the tributaries

Speaker 2

I’ve got something humorous happened to me, one thing I’ll never forget.

— What’s that?

Eh? We .. well th .. this is, this is when I first met my husband .. cos I generally .. you know, my daughter always laugh about that, we went and had a drink .. erm .. one night. I don’t know if you know the Blue Room? near the erm .. do you know the .. erm .. Yeah.

Well we went in there one night to have a drink. There was erm .. two girl friends and me .. this was before I married, see and, well this was the night, see, when I met my husband and erm you know they was like b .. the fellows was buying us drinks and that, see, and er my friend and her sister, oh, she say, we don’t want to go with them, she said, let’s give them the slip .. right .. well we ran up er Prince of Wales Road and opposite the, well, that’s .. that was the Regent then, that’s the ABC now, there’s a fruiterers, Empire Fruit Stores, I don’t know if it’s still there, is it? Well there was this here fruits .. er .. fruitstore and that and they had a passage way at the side of it, see.

(a)   Do you recognise the accents of the speakers, or do they sound like anyone you know? What kind of variation are we concerned about here: regional (geographical), temporal (historical) or social? Why do you think the speakers have different accents? Is one better than the other, or can they be improved upon?

(b)   Can you describe the accents? What are some differences (eg the way the speakers say the ‘oh’ sound as in ‘Rio’ (S1) and ‘Prince of Wales Road’ (S2))? Make use of some of the terms introduced in the module: rhoticity, glottal stop, rhythm, intonation. You might want to discuss how these speakers talk differently to how you talk, as well as how each is different to the other.

(c)    What is your impression of both speakers? Can any of these labels (or their antonyms) be used: warm, approachable, proud, earthy, jovial, has a sense of humour, sexy, old-fashioned, vulgar? Would you ever make a judgement on the kind of person somebody is based on the accent they adopt?

2. The following passages deal with the same subject matter, namely ‘the “fouling up” of the environment’, but they choose different kinds of words for their purposes.

(a)    Industrialism is the systematic exploitation of wasting assets. Progress is merely an acceleration in the rate of that exploitation. Such prosperity as we have known up to the present is the consequence of rapidly spending the planet’s irreplaceable capital. (Aldous Huxley, Themes and Variations)

(b)    Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he’s been given. But up to now he hasn’t been a creator, only a destroyer. Forests keep disappearing, rivers dry up, wild life’s become extinct, the climate’s ruined and the land grows poorer and uglier every day. (Anton Chekov, Uncle Vanya)

(c)    It goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy the air, look you this brave o’erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. (William Shakespeare, Hamlet)

(i) How would you ‘place’ the words used within the core / periphery figure introduced in Lecture 2. Say why you place them as you do.

(ii) Why do you think the three writers have chosen and combined these words as they have done? (Bear in mind, among other things, the notions of ‘appropriateness’ and ‘precision of meaning’ etc. introduced to you in the lecture as well as the notion of ‘praxis’, ie doing things with language.)

(iii) Rewrite (portions of) the passages replacing the words they have chosen with alternative words expressing more or less the same meanings but drawn from somewhere else within the core/periphery figure. (Often your rewriting will involve alternative phrases not just single words.) What would the result of your rewriting be from the point of view of what you have stated under (ii) above?

3. The following passage is from a Chapter on ‘Advertising’, in which the author, Geoffrey Hughes, discusses how language is (mis)used by big time advertisers today, along with powerful audio-visual images, as just another resource in the capital market. In making his point, he imagines how the highly erudite Dr Johnson would have reacted to modern day advertisements had he been living in our times. Read the passage carefully and answer the questions given below:

Perhaps the coda of the chapter should be given to Dr Johnson, whose insight into the language of advertising was so clear. We can imagine the bewilderment of the doughty prescriptivist as he ventured into a modern US supermarket intending to purchase viands for his pet cat, Hodge. Promises, large promises, would greet his astonished eyes. Substances claiming to be nectar and ambrosia would seem to be commonly available, with feline sustenance equally rarefied:

Every bite-sized clover of Little Friskies is drenched with a digest of real ocean fish by- products for a taste and an aroma your cat will love. All Little Friskies flavours are tested with and approved by a taste test panel of over 500 pampered cats like yours at the Friskies Cat health Centre, Carnation Farms, Washington.

Witnessing the kaleidoscopic cacophony of imperatives, hedonistic, sexual, salutary, dyspeptic and apocalyptic, Dr Johnson would assuredly recall his own pronouncements on advertising. Affronted by some of the more primitive manifestations of articulation, the cave-men grunts, infantile gurgles and juvenile ejaculations, he would surely feel vindicated by the statement he made in the Preface to his Dictionary: ‘Commerce, however necessary, however lucrative, as it depraves the morals, so it corrupts the language.’

(i) Are the words used in the advertisement of the same kind as those used in the author’s comments on advertisements? Discuss the differences between then along the lines indicated in the earlier questions.

(ii) How do the different choices of words and their combinations, as they appear in the advertisement and in the author’s comments on it, help achieve the communicative purposes of each genre?

(iii) Assume that you are in a friendly argument, during which you strongly criticise the aggressive strategies used by modern advertising.

(a)    Compose such a conversation or argument and compare the words you have used with those used by Geoffrey Hughes in his comments.

(b)   Discuss the differences in the words used in terms of the notions of appropriateness, precision of meaning, etc.

Back to the EL1102 lecture/tutorial schedule 

Email Peter Tan

Email Rani Rubdy