EL1102 Studying English in Context

This page contains the texts and notes for the first part Lecture No. 1 of this module. Please note that these probably won’t make a lot of sense if you haven’t attended the lecture. This also applies to most of the notes in this Web site, and I make no apologies for that, because these notes cannot be a substitute to lecture attendance.

Click here to go back to the EL1102 Home Page.

Click here to get back to the lecture schedule.

Click here to get to the second part of this lecture.

Text 1

S1: Customer

S2: Assistant

S1: (a) Can I post this second class please?

S2: (b) You may. Put him over the bar, just there, look, where my finger is

S1: (c) There [laughs]

S2: (d) They’re still tingling, thank you – second class is thirty-six

S1: (e) Right – I need erm to get a TV licence for my Mum, can you do it month by month or do you have to *pay for it all at once or?*

S2: (f) *Er – well at the* moment we’ve got no forms for you to do it month by month but er if you write to TV, Bristol [S1: yeah] just TV Bristol, TV Licences Bristol, I think they’ll send you a form monthly

S1: (g) Right

S2: (h) They’re doing it, they used to do it in book form years ago [S1: yes] and I think they’re starting it again

S1: (i) Right

S2: (j) So you, you know

S1: (k) Cos she’s probably not going to be in her own home for a year so we just want to do it for a month *at a time to see how she goes*

S2: (l) *That’s right, that’s* right, or if she ever leaves she can always change the address at a post office where she goes to

Notes

(b) S2’s You may is a rather formal and polite reply to the customer’s can.

(d) tingling here refers to the needle on the weighing scale (this is obviously not an electronic scale). The needle has not stopped moving but the customer tries to remove the letter. The assistant wants the letter to stay on the scales until it is clear what the exact weight/price is.

(h) in book form: Formerly, it was possible to buy a booklet into which you stuck saving stamps (usually month by month or week by week) which could be used to pay for your annual TV licence when totalled up

[Carter & McCarthy 1997: 92–93]

Text 2

S: all public caning because the teacher caught us gambling you know so all public caning some more [= what’s more] I prefect you know kena [= caused to] lost badge all everything gone nah koyak [= destroyed] so kena er public caning some more I gabra [= lost, unfocused] boy some more public is like . principal office no sweat you know but public is like they call your parents round

[Uppal 1984]

Text 3

Auld Lang Syne

1

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
     And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
     And auld lang syne?

Chorus:
And for auld lang syne, my jo
,
     For auld lang syne,
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
     For auld lang syne.

2

And surely, ye’ll be your pint stowp!
     And surely I’ll be mine!
And we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
     For auld lang syne.

3

We twa hae run about the braes
     And pu’d the gowans fine;
But we’ve wander’d mony a weary foot
     Sin’ auld lang syne.

4

We two hae paidled i’ the burn,
     Frae morning sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar’d
     Sin’ auld lang syne.

5

And here’s a hand, my trusty fiere,
     And gie’s a hand o’ thine;
And we’ll tak’ a right gude-willy waught,
     For auld lang syne.

If you want to listen to the melody, click here. (Click on the ‘back’ button on your browser when you’ve had enough)

Notes: 

Title: auld = old; lang = long; syne = since, ago

Chorus: jo = sweetheart

Verse 2: ye’ll be your pint stowp! = you will pay for your own pint (of beer)

Verse 3: twa hae run = two have run; braes = hillsides; pu’d = pulled; gowans = wild daisies; mony = many

Verse 4: paidl’d = paddled, waded; burn = brook; frae = from; dine = dinner time; braid = broad

Verse 5: fiere = chum; give’s = give us (ie give me); gude-willy waught = good-will drink

Text 4

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled,
‘Who’ll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?
Waltzing Matilda,
Waltzing Matilda,
Who’ll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?’

Down came a jumbuck to drink at the billabong:
Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee.
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker-bag,
‘You’ll come a-waltzing Matilda with me.
Waltzing Matilda,
Waltzing Matilda,
You’ll come a-waltzing Matilda with me.’

Notes from the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) On-line

billabong: Austral. A branch or effluent of a river, forming a blind channel, backwater, or stagnant pool.

billy: Austral. and N.Z. A cylindrical container, usu. of tin or enamel ware, with a close-fitting lid and a wire handle, used for making tea and for cooking over fires in the open, and for carrying food or liquid.

coolibah: Austral. Any of several Australian gum-trees, esp. Eucalyptus microtheca.

jumbuck: Austral. and N.Z. A name given by Australian and New Zealand aborigines to sheep; in frequent colloquial use among stock-keepers in the Bush.

swagman: Austral. and N.Z., a man who travels with a ‘swag’ (which is Austral. and N.Z. for the bundle of personal belongings carried by a traveller in the bush, a tramp, or a miner)

tucker-bag: a bag for tucker (ie the daily supply of food of a gold-digger or station-hand; rations, meals; also, food generally, victuals)

Text 5

1

Ring a ring o’ roses, 
A pocket full of posies,
A-tishoo, a-tishoo! 
We all fall down.

OR

Ring around the rosie, 
A pocket full of posies, 
Ashes, ashes! 
We all fall down

2

The cows are in the meadow
Lying fast asleep, 
A-tishoo, a-tishoo! 
We all get up again.

Text 6

Have a break. Have a KitKat.

(Click on icon to get to the Kit Kat Park in Japan!)

Text 7

I THINK THEREFORE IBM.

Text 8

I THINK MORE CAREFULLY THEREFORE I AMSTRAD.

Text 9

Tour guide fee war

THE national bodies representing tour guides and travel agents are locked in a dispute over an increase in fees for guides.

The main sticking point is rates for half-day tours, which last 3½ to four hours, the most common tours offered here.

The Registered Tourist Guides Association of Singapore has raised its rates by $20 to $70 for English and local language guides.

For foreign language guides, who can speak Thai, Indonesian and European languages, it also increased rates, by $15 per hour to $100.

These changes took effect in January. It also said that the fees, which had not been raised since 1983, would be upped by 10 per cent a year.

However, the National Association of Travel Agents, Singapore (Natas) has recommended rates of $55 for a half-day tour for English and local language guides and $90 for foreign language guides starting next month, among other guidelines.

Tour guides who agree to its rates would be given ‘top priority’ for assignments by its members.

[Straits Times, 13/3/97]

Text 10

The gene encoding an acid extracellular protease (AXP) from Yarrowia lipolytica (Candida olea) 148 was cloned, expressed in Escherichia coli DH5, and characterized. The complete DNA sequence of the acid protease gene was determined. The protein sequence deduced from the DNA sequence showed that the mature AXP consisted of 353 amino acids with a mol.wt. of 37,427. The gene also encoded a putative 17 amino acid hydrophobic prepeptide and a 27 amino acid propeptide containing no potential N-glycosylation sites. The mature extracellular enzyme was produced by cleavage between Phe and Ala. AXP is a member of the aspartyl protease family. AXP shows homology to proteases of several fungal genera and to human progastricin. The coding sequence is preceded by a potential regulatory region of 1,982 bp. Transcription of both AXP and alkaline extracellular protease genes of Y. lipolytica 148 is regulated by culture medium pH. The acid protease is useful in the brewing industry as a chill-proofing agent.

[Derwent Biotechnology Abstracts]

Text 11

Our Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation; But deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, For ever and ever. Amen.

Text 12

Sr

Your fellow servant upon the news you sent her is goeing to Looke out her Captain. In Earnest now shee is goeing to sea, but ‘tis to Guarnesey to her freinds there. her going is soe sudden that I have not time to say much to you, but that I Longe to heare what you have done, & that I shall hate my selfe as Longe as I live if I cause any disorder between your father and you, but if my name can doe you any service, I shall not scruple to trust you with that, since I make none to trust you with my heart. she will dirrect you how you may sende to mee, and for god sake though this bee a short Letter let not yours bee soe, tis very late & I am able to hold open my Eyes noe longer, good night. if I were not sure to meet you againe by and by, I would not Leave you soe soone.

Your

[Dorothy Osborne’s letter to William Temple, 17 March 1653]

Text 13

1 Whan that aprill with his shoures soote

When April with his showers sweet with fruit
2 The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,

The drought of March has pierced unto the root 
3 And bathed every veyne in swich licour

And bathed each vein with liquor that has power 
4 Of which vertu engendred is the flour; 

To generate therein and sire the flower; 
5 Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth 

When Zephyr also has, with his sweet breath, 
6 Inspired hath in every holt and heeth 

Quickened again, in every holt and heath,
7 Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne

The tender shoots and buds, and the young sun 
8 Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne, 

Into the Ram one half his course has run, 
9 And smale foweles maken melodye, 

And many little birds make melody 
10 That slepen al the nyght with open ye

That sleep through all the night with open eye 
11 (so priketh hem nature in hir corages); 

(So Nature pricks them on to ramp and rage);
12 Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages … 

Then do folk long to go on pilgrimage ...

This is of course the opening of Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales (The Prologue). If you haven’t read Chaucer before, you’ll probably notice the divergent spellings immediately. The pronunciation of Chaucerian English is also different from ours; Dr Bonnie Duncan’s website and the Brigham Young University site contain an audio file of this. (Remember this takes you out of the EL1102 site, and the audio files might take a little while to download. Use your browser’s <BACK> button to return here.)

Text 14

Lord's prayer: opening

Our conclusion must be that there is variation in English (and, indeed, other languages). This is the focus of this module: variation, rather than uniformity or homogeneity. A variety of labels are used to refer to this phenomenon of variation, including genre, variety, accent, dialect and register. I will use the general term variety since this is the word that is cognate with (= related to) variation. (For the record, genre and register have to do with different social occasions for communication; dialect is to do with structures and vocabulary associated with various groups of people; and accent is to do with the pronunciations associated with various groups of people.)

We will not be judgemental in our approach. In linguistic circles, this is known as the prescriptive approach (rather than the descriptive approach). The prescriptive approach is not helpful from our point of view because it fore-closes discussion, and discussion is what we are interested in.

Ferdinand de Saussure (1857-1913), the Swiss linguist made a central distinction between two different kinds of endeavours related to the investigation on language (linguistics). He used the analogy of a tree trunk. (Some people find the analogy useful, others don’t. If it doesn’t work for you, you can consign it to the dustbin!)

tree trunkYou can make a horizontal cut or a horizontal cut; you can study language at a single point in time, or you can trace the development of language over time. The former he called synchronic linguistics and the latter diachronic linguistics. From this it follows that one aspect of variation is the historical one.

We have also seen how speakers from different locations might also produce different varieties of the language. This is geographical or regional variation.

Sometimes, variation is related to more social issues. Some people think that men and women speak differently. In certain countries, you might be able to recognise a person’s social class (upper class [eg aristocrats], middle class [eg professionals like lawyers and teachers], working class [eg manual labourers like brick-layers]) from the way they talk. In addition to that, individuals might also vary their style of talk depending on various social factors (level of formality, who is being addressed, the occasion, etc.), and we expect most people to be able to make a switch from one style to another. We will use the umbrella term social variation to refer to this.

Some people think they can recognise individual styles. Literary critics might talk about Shakespeare’s style, for example. If a new work is found, they might analyse it, and if it doesn’t conform to his style, they might say that it is unlikely to be written by him. You might do the same thing when you receive a mysterious unsigned letter, and you try to look at the way the language is used (including the handwriting or the font if printed), as well as the kind of paper used, the postmark, etc. to see if you recognise the style. This is individual variation. This is sometimes also called a person’s idiolect. This aspect of variation will not be focused on in this module.

Go to Part 2 of this lecture.