EL4252: Honours Year

Some Texts for Analysis: Politeness

Adversarial discourse

In a court of law, court hearings are presided over by the judge, and there are two parties in dispute – this could be the plaintiff (the party claiming redress  or damages) against the defendant in civil cases, or the prosecutor (generally the state) against the defendant in criminal cases. In some hearings, there might be a jury. In parliament, in countries where parties are strongly pitted against each other, the speaker is the chair.

Address direction

Direct and re-direct examination

Cross and re-cross examination

Judge

Prosecution/defence à witness

Defence/prosecution à witness

Judge à witness

Witness à prosecution/defence

Witness à defence/ prosecution

Witnessà judge

Address options in courtroom discourse

Cheng & Wagner, Exploring Courtroom Discourse: The Language of Power and Control

A. Politeness in legal settings: Extract from Bill Clinton’s deposition

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/pjones/docs/clintondep031398.htm

(Mr Fisher is Paula Jones’s lawyer; Mr Bennett is Bill Clinton’s. Q = questions [from Fisher], A = answers [from Clinton]; witness = Clinton)

Q. (1) Let me hand you what has been marked Deposition Exhibit 5.

Mr Fisher: (2) I’m afraid I only have one extra copy of this one, but if you’ll send it back to me, you can look at that copy.

Mr Bennett: (3) Do you have a copy for the Judge?

Mr Fisher: (4) No, but I’ll send that one down after I ask only one or two questions. If you have an objection so that she needs to see it, I’ll pass that down.

Mr Bennett: (5) I could make a suggestions. If you have a series of documents you’re going to be questioning about, out of courtesy to the other lawyers and the Court, I would be happy to take those and reproduce them so there’s enough copies for everyone.

Mr Fisher: (6) I think there are only one or two letters for which I only have one copy.

Judge Wright: (7) Why don’t we take him up on his offer and make a copy for the Court and one for Mr Ruff and I’d, I don’t know who else. Mr Bristow might like to have a copy.

Mr Bennett: (8) Could you give me, maybe you could go on to another area or some direct questions to the president, and give me everything that you want copied, and I’ll have several copies made.

Judge Wright: (9) Actually you can give them to Barry Ward, if you don’t want Mr Bennett to see them until you present them, and so you don’t mind if Barry takes them?

Mr Bennett: (10) No, Your Honour, I’m just trying to expedite things.

Judge Wright: (11) Sure.

Mr Fisher: (12) The things that I have only one copy of are things that were produced just in the last day or so, and with travel arrangements here and everything, I had a hard time co-ordinating that.

The Witness: (13) I know what this document is.

Mr Bennett: (14) Wait until he asks you a question.

Mr Fisher: (15) At the next break I’ll do that.

Judge Wright: (16) All right.

Mr Bennett: (17) Okay, fine. Okay. What’s your question to the president?

Mr Fisher: (18) Did you have an objection about this particular –

Mr Bennett: (19) No, I don’t have an objection.

Q. (20) Is this a copy of a sexual harassment policy that you signed when you were the governor of the state of Arkansas?

A. (21) It is. I signed it in 1987, and I’m fairly sure that I was, we were the first or one of the very first states to actually have a clearly defined sexual harassment policy.

Mr Fisher: (22) Objection, non-responsive beginning with the words, ‘I’m fairly sure.’

Q. (23) Mr President, the criteria there under Roman numeral III were actually federal guidelines that you were adopting as the policy in the state, correct?

A. (24) Yes.

B. Politeness in Parliamentary Debates

(source: http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/)

Mrs Gillian Shephard (North-West Norfolk): (1) I thank the right honourable Gentleman for making available to me a copy of his statement and the report at the correct time. All honourable Members will have found it helpful to have had individual copies of the parts of the report appropriate to their constituencies. I also welcome the right honourable Gentleman to his new responsibilities. I congratulate him, and I wish him well. We regret that his post has been demoted from Cabinet rank, feeling that that illustrates the Government’s attitude to transport. However, I am sure that the right honourable Gentleman will perform his task well. I only hope that his ministerial career will not be affected by the poisoned chalice that he has been handed today. I am delighted that he has made an oral statement. It has come at the last possible moment, but that was not of his doing. […] I have a number of questions for the right honourable Gentleman. Will he confirm the answer that the Minister for Transport in London gave on 27 July to my honourable Friend the Member for North Essex (Mr Jenkin) that less money will be spent next year on road construction and maintenance than was spent this year? If the position has altered in the light of his announcement, can he tell us by how much and in what way? […] We welcome the setting up of properly resourced and equipped regional traffic control centres. Given that so many of the road schemes that the Minister has today delayed or scrapped have been the subject of reviews because of congestion problems, how quickly does he envisage road users experiencing real improvements on, say, the M1 and the M6? Many will be listening to his reply as they sit in jams and I do not think that further studies will be much comfort to them. […]

Dr Reid: (2) I shall attempt to answer only 110 of those questions. First, I thank the right honourable Member for South-West Norfolk (Mrs Shephard) for her congratulations and am deeply moved by her concern about my future career prospects, but I think that I would rather take care of them. The fact that no less a person than the Deputy Prime Minister is in charge of the Department is a sign of the priority that we place on transport. As for the right honourable Lady’s other questions, I shall avoid answering those that were merely personal abuse. […] As for road maintenance, we have restored the cuts that took place under the Conservative Government.

Mr Bernard Jenkin (North Essex): (3) What about money for local authority roads maintenance?

Dr Reid: (4) The honourable Gentleman has a cheek interrupting as he does, when the Conservative Government, after 18 years, left us in a worse mess than any other Government have done. I shall give one example. The right honourable Lady had the brass neck [= over-confidence, effrontery] to criticise us implicitly about bypasses. We have given the go-ahead for 15. The highest number in any year during the 18 years of Conservative control of the transport system was 16, so this year, we have almost reached the highest figure that the Tories ever managed to achieve. Their record in their last three years was as follows: in 1994-95, they started the sum total of three bypasses; in 1995-96, they started one; and in 1996-97, they started one. So, this year we are starting three times more than they did in their last three years and they ought to consider those figures before they speak (31/7/98)

C. Politeness in a Singaporean ‘talk cock’ session

(source: Yang Mei Ling 1987/88)

<S1>        (1) What you say about slowdancing you know er -

<S2>        (2) Ya the girl grab me ah I don’t want ah, then Asean scholar some more

<S3>        (3) (who’s she?)

<S2>        (4) Ya you don’t know, many years our junior one.  I go there and ‘buaya’ [flirt, SCE from Malay] also you see.  So wah - I tell you really ‘shiok’ [enjoyable, SCE from colloq. Malay] ah then=

<S1>        (5) =She feels awkward also lah

<S2>        (6) Yah

<S1>        (7) Yah I will

<S2>        (8) I feel *awkward*, you know what I believe slowdance is or not?

<S1>        (9) *You did it also what*

<S3>        (10) Someone you really know well.

<S2>        (11) Yah because you know what, because I tell myself, when I slowdance ah, I can feel the electricity you know.

<Others> (12) [laugh]

<S1>        (13) [laugh] ah so highly charged one ah [laugh]

<S2>        (14) I mean - it’s suppose to release my energy you know – ZA::H

<S1>        (15) *[laugh] Wah aiyo [excl. (mock?) surprise] -*

<Others> (16) *[laugh]*

<S1>        (17) I - I - I dare not go near you [laugh]

<Others> (18) [laugh]

<S1>        (19) Sounds like a typical haam sap lou [lecher, Cantonese] er

<Others> (20) [laugh]

<S2>        (21) Wha::t the heck [laugh], when I say I release my energy za::h - to you ah - then the girl will stun also say - wa:h I enjoy it man *you know*

<Others> (22) *[laugh]*

<S1>        (23) That’s love ah? [laugh]

<S2>        (24) To me y’know *I -*

<S1>        (25) *The* the worse thing is to be stiff er ---- or too: too much hands (er) it’s even worse also -

<S2>        (26) Wa:h too much hands - you all haven’t seen some of those guys oo:h=

<S1>        (27) =I’ve seen I’ve seen

<S2>        (28) Oh you’ve seen ah [laugh]

Back to EL4252 : Session 8  notes