EL4252: Honours Year

More Texts for Analysis: Politeness/Face

Face in domestic discourse – US: friends

A husband a wife and having dinner with two adult guests — a woman (unnamed) and a man named Charlie.  The family dog, Mercury, is sitting near the table. How much ‘face’ is shown to the four adults (and to the dog — has the dog any ‘face’?)?

Wife:                (1) Now you told me that this was east.

Husband:         (2) I never did. that’s west.

Wife:                (3) Yes you did.

Husband:         (4) No I never.

Wife:                (5) Last week

Husband:         (6) [to guests] She has a terrible sense of direction.

Wife:                (7) I asked you whether the trains went - ran north and south or east and west.

Husband:         (8) Okay and what did I say.

Wife:                (9) East west.

Husband:         (10) right, very good.

Wife:                (11) then I said I was trying to figure out if [unclear] was right and then I asked you what direction that was and we finally decided the sun comes up over here so this was east.

Husband:         (12) No no no no

Wife:                (13) Cos I - it’s west and you said the sun comes up over here.

Husband:         (14) No.

Wife:                (15) Yeah, I remember that very clearly.

Woman:           (16) Hi Mercury dog.  I eat all my crust. sorry. Charlie ate his crust too.

Wife:                (17) It was good crust.

Woman:           (18) Er-huh.

Face in children’s discourse – US: friends

Examine the following interaction between four American boys (Lanny, Graham, Peter, and Frank), who are playing with water around a sand box.  Each child has an individual hose.  Lanny and Frank are playing alongside each other and are facing Peter and Graham.  A fifth child, Antoinette is on the far side of the sandbox positioned between the two dyads.

Lanny:              (1) Look what we made Graham.  We made a real waterfall.  Hey we made the best waterfall!

Frank:              (2) Yeah.

Peter:               (3) That’s not a waterfall.

Lanny:              (4) Yes it is -

Peter:               (5) Lanny’s isn’t. Lanny’s isn’t.

Lanny:              (6) I did the - a waterfall right Frank?

Frank:              (7) Yeah.

Antoinette:       (8) Frank’s is.

Lanny:              (9) Yes, mine is, isn’t it Frank?

Frank:              (10) It’s mine.

Lanny:              (11) It’s both of ours right?

Frank:              (12) Right and we made it ourselves.

Lanny:              (13) Yeah.

Peter:               (14) Graham, we’re not going to be Frank’s and Lanny’s friend right?

Graham:           (15) I am.

Frank:              (16) I’m going to throw water at you [ie Peter] if you don’t stop it, and tell the teachers.  and then splash water on you again.  [Both Peter and Graham laugh.]

An encounter with an acquaintance: filmscript

This is a short excerpt from Stanley Kubrick and Frederic Raphael’s screenplay Eyes Wide Shut (1999).

Bill Harcourt is a doctor in New York. He chanced upon Nick Nightingale who was in medical school with him, but didn’t finish the course and became a musician.

BILL walks down a street and happens by the Café Sonata where NICK Nightingale mentioned he was playing. BILL stops and looks in the window where he sees a photograph of NICK sitting at the piano. BILL think for a moment then makes for the door, which is opened by a doorman.

BILL (1)

Thank you.

BILL walks down the stairs of the club. We hear live music as BILL is greeted by the MAÎTRE D’.

MAÎTRE D’ (2)

Good evening, sir. Would you like a table or would you like to sit at the bar?

BILL (3)

I’d like a table.

MAÎTRE D’ (4)

Please, follow me. Can I take your coat?

As BILL is taken to his table we see his friend, NICK, playing piano on stage with a jazz trio.

BILL (to Maître d’) (5)

Thank you.

MAÎTRE D’ (6)

Can I get you anything to drink?

BILL (7)

I’d like a beer.

MAÎTRE D’ (8)

Certainly.

BILL watches the group as it finishes its final number. Then NICK quickly gets the band into the fast closing theme to cover his introductions to the musicians and his tanks to the audience.

NICK (9)

Hope you enjoyed he music tonight. We’re going to be here for the next two weeks. So, please, do stop by. I’m Nick Nightingale. Good night.

NICK leaves the stage and walks through the club.

VOICE FROM AUDIENCE (10)

Nick, that was great!

NICK (11)

Oh, thanks.

BILL (12)

Nightingale!

NICK sees BILL and goes over to him.

NICK (13)

Hey, Bill! You made it.

BILL (14)

Yeah, listen, I’m sorry. I got here just as you were finishing your last set.

NICK (15)

That’s all right, the band sucked tonight anyway.

The MAÎTRE D’ brings BILL his beer.

BILL (to NICK) (16)

What are you drinking?

NICK (17)

A vodka and tonic, please.

BILL (18)

Thank you.

NICK (19)

So what brings you out at this hour?

BILL (20)

I have a patient in the neighbourhood.

NICK (21)

Do you live in the Village?

BILL (22)

No, we have an apartment on Central Park West.

NICK (23)

Are you married?

BILL (24)

Nine years.

NICK (25)

Do you have any kids?

BILL (26)

Yes, we have a seven-year-old daughter. How about you?

NICK (27)

I’ve got a wife and four boys in Seattle.

BILL (28)

You’re a long way from home.

NICK (29)

Yeah, well, you’ve gotta go where the work is.

Consider the interaction, recorded in the Houston Chronical in terms of impoliteness:

Says tape captures incident with Metro officer
By STEVE McVICKER
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Transcript
Officer Doug Carr of the Metropolitan Transit Authority stopped Amanuel Hadis, a Central Cab Co. driver originally from Ethiopia, at 9.05am Monday at a downtown intersection. The following is a transcript of their conversation as recorded by Hadis.

1 Carr: This your cab?

2 Hadis: Yes sir.

3 C: It says here it’s expired. What else you got? 

4 H: My insurance is expired? I didn’t get change, but I think I left it at my house. 

5 C: You didn’t get it, or you left it at home? 

6 H: I got it . . . 

7 C: Which lie are you telling me? 

8 H: I’m not lying sir, I’m just . . . 

9C: Yes you are. Ran red light, no insurance and not wearing a seat belt. Sign right there. Court date’s on the top. 

10 H: I did not pass the red light. I was holding the brake. 

11 C: Let me tell you something, (expletive). You cross that white line out there, that’s running the red light. You wanna argue with me or you wanna go to jail? 

12 H: No. 

13 C: Cause I’ll stick your . . . ass in jail right now, I don’t care. I don’t like cab drivers in the first place. I will put you in jail. You pulled out in the middle of the intersection. That’s running a red light, whether you backed up or not. I don’t know what it’s like in your country, but in the United States of America, in the state of Texas, we abide by all the laws. You don’t like it here, leave, you got it? 

14 H: Okay. 

15 C: You understand me? 

16 H: Yes sir. 

17 C: Do we understand real good English here? 

18 H: Yes sir. I’m sorry. 

19 C: We don’t need your kind here. You can go back to where you come from if you don’t want to abide by our laws. You understand me? 

20 H: Yes sir. 

21 C: Look at my name. Remember it. Remember C-a-r-r. ‘Cause the next time I find you on a city street in Houston, Texas, downtown, and you (expletive) up and break the law, I will put your ass in jail. Do you understand me? 

22 H: Yes sir. 

23 C: I’m speaking real straight, slow English. 

24 H: All right sir. 

[Turn over for the news report]

A Houston cabdriver from Ethiopia has filed a complaint with Metropolitan Transit Authority police, alleging that he recorded a Metro officer cursing him repeatedly during a traffic stop and telling him to ‘go back where you come from ....’ 

A copy of the audiotape obtained by the Houston Chronicle appears to capture Officer Doug Carr berating Central Cab Co. driver Amanuel Hadis during a tirade at a downtown intersection Monday morning. 

‘We don’t need your kind here,’ Carr tells Hadis, a naturalised US citizen. ‘You can go back to where you come from if you don’t want to abide by our laws. You understand me?’ 

While Carr said Tuesday he had no comment about the incident, Metro Police Chief Tom Lambert said his department’s professional standards section is investigating the complaint. 

‘This sergeant is talking to (Hadis), and we’ll get a statement from him,’ said Lambert. ‘We will investigate the complaint. We have very clearly defined standards and expectations, and if our officer is outside of that expectation standard, we will deal with that appropriately.’ 

Hadis, who fled civil war-torn Ethiopia in 1990, says he wants Carr fired. He says he now fears driving his cab downtown. 

‘He can shoot me and kill me anytime he wants,’ he said of Carr, a former president of the Metro Police Association. ‘He can do anything he wants. I want him to get fired. He doesn’t belong there. Most officers are nice people.’ 

Hadis’s attorney [AmE = BrE counsel, lawyer], Matt Hennessy, said he believes that – at the least – Metro owes his client an apology. 

The confrontation occurred just after 9 am Monday, when Hadis stopped at Main and Texas – an area in which Metro officers have stepped up enforcement of traffic laws. The front wheels of Hadis’s cab apparently touched or crossed the white lines of the pedestrian crossing, and Carr ordered him to pull over. 

Hadis said Carr instantly became abusive, yelling profanities from his patrol car. Hadis said that because he feared for his safety, he telephoned his voice mail and recorded the ensuing exchange. 

The recording begins with Carr calmly asking Hadis several questions. When Hadis fails to provide proof of current insurance, he tries to explain that he forgot to bring his new insurance card with him. 

At that point, Carr appears to lose his temper and accuses Hadis of lying. Hadis denies lying and protests that he did not run a red light. 

‘Let me tell you something, (expletive),’ Carr says. ‘You cross that white line out there, that’s running the red light. You want to argue with me or you want to go to jail?’ 

Carr again threatens Hadis with jail later in the confrontation. 

’Cause I’ll stick your stinking ass in jail right now, I don’t care,’ Carr says. ‘I don’t like cabdrivers in the first place. I will put you in jail. ... I don’t know what it’s like in your country, but in the United States of America, in the state of Texas, we abide by all the laws. You don’t like it here, leave, you got it?’ 

Before releasing Hadis with citations for running a red light, operating a vehicle without insurance and failing to wear a seat belt, Carr ensures the cabdriver will remember his name. 

‘Look at my name,’ he says. ‘Remember it. Remember C-a-r-r. ‘Cause the next time I find you on a city street in Houston, Texas, downtown and you (expletive) break the law, I will put your ass in jail. Do you understand me?’ 

When reached by phone and asked about the confrontation Tuesday, Carr replied, ‘What about it?’ 

Told that the newspaper had a recording of the exchange with Hadis, Carr said he had no comment and abruptly hung up. 

Back to EL4252:  Session 8 notes