Robbie B. H. Goh 

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, 
    nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be 
    able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 
                                                                    (Romans 8: 38-39, KJV)

Welcome to my webpage

I am a Professor of Literature in the department of English Language and Literature, National University of Singapore.  My teaching and research interests lie in Diaspora Studies, Indian Anglophone Literature, Christianity in Asia, Late Nineteenth Century English Literature, and Speculative Fiction. 

I am married to Mervyln, a teacher and counselor,

and have two sons, Gavin and Gareth.

For more information about me, click on the appropriate links below.

I. CV: Education, Work Experience, Appointments, Awards

I have been at NUS all my working life, but in a wide variety of different jobs, doing things as varied as arts administration, buildings and facilities,  international relations, hiring and HR (academic and non-academic staff), and of course the educational administration (strategic planning, new programmes, curriculum review) that is the core of university life.  I have also done quite a wide range of administration outside of the university context, on the boards of volunteer organisations and churches.  Along the way I have been blessed with a number of awards for my teaching, research, and service to NUS and to society.

For more details on my educational background, experience, and awards, click here 

II.   Research: Publications, Conference Papers, Conferences Organised

I have a wide range of research interests, and have published in the areas of nineteenth-century literature, Indian Anglophone writing, Christianity in Asia, Asian diaspora studies, speculative fiction, film and advertising, and urban studies.  I’m aware of the dangers of spreading myself too thin—I don’t just dip my toe in an area and bring out a few publications in it before moving on to something else, but rather pursue areas in parallel with each other, persisting in publishing in each area and capitalizing on the added insights that come from looking at issues from different perspectives.  In addition to my main discipline of literature and cultural studies, I have published (including in highly-regarded journals and presses) in the disciplines of Geography (Urban Studies, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Journal of Cultural Geography), Sociolinguistics and Semiotics (Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, Social Semiotics, Semiotica, John Benjamins press), Religion and Anthropology (Material Religion, Numen, Culture and Religion, SUNY Press), and Asian/Area Studies (Asian Studies Review, South Asian Review, Hong Kong University Press, ISEAS press).

I greatly enjoy the critical and conceptual leverage which is added by looking at a topic from different disciplinary lenses, and think of my work as both conceptual and applied.  I have seen the benefits of working across different disciplines, having been invited to referee for close to two dozen journals and presses on manuscripts in a wide range of topics, and having brought my research experience to bear in pushing different areas of research in my capacity as an educational administrator and on the board of different journals and the ARI-Springer book series.

For a full list of my publications, click  here

III. Teaching

I have taught literature (EN-coded modules) at NUS at every level over the course of my career, from the large introductory module EN1101 to small Ph.D seminars, and all levels in-between.  I have also given guest lectures and talks for courses at NUS’s University Scholars Programme, and by invitation to undergraduate and graduate students from other universities.  More recently I have taught the following modules at NUS.  (Click on each link for course descriptions, seminar notes, reading lists and resources).

EN 4262  Writing Global India: (Dis)Possessions of Capitalism

FMA 1202F Heroism and Society (Freshman Seminar)

EN 4223 Fictions of Space and Culture (2006/07 to 2012/13)

Earlier version of EN4223 The Gothic and After (up to 2006/07)

EN 4242 Modern critical Theory: Theory, Texts, Culture

EN 5220 Genres in Popular Culture: Fantasy and Speculative Fiction (graduate module)

EN 4271 Research Workshop

EN 5245 Gothic Properties

IV. Supervisions

My administrative responsibilities have made it difficult for me to supervise a large number of students.  Nevertheless I have been as active in supervisions as my responsibilities have allowed, and have been very pleased to see my undergraduate and graduate supervisees go on to strong graduate programmes, and to good careers in academia and elsewhere.  Since my research moves across different disciplines, my graduate committee and exam work likewise takes place (by invitation) in other disciplines, including in the Geography and Sociology departments of NUS.

For a list of graduate supervisions, examinations and committees that I have done, click here

V. Public Service

I believe that I have been very blessed in my education and career in a number of ways, having been the recipient of several prizes and scholarships (without the latter which I would not have been able to continue my graduate education), and having been a part of NUS as it grew into an internationally-competitive research university with the benefits (research funding and support,  international reputation, quality of students) to match.  I thus fully believe in giving back in as many ways as I can, firstly of course through the teaching, service and mentorship of students  and younger colleagues that I do within NUS.  Beyond that, I have also served in other capacities, in education, the arts, and voluntary and welfare organisations. 

A list of the work I’ve done in public service can be found here.

VI.   Church Service, Music, Guitars

I have been a Christian for most of my life, and have been actively serving in churches in Singapore and overseas.  For a list of churches in which I have served, and the types of service I have done, click here.

I play the piano and guitar, mostly worship music in church, but also jazz in the privacy of my own home and—on very rare occasion—in public venues.  For more information on my musical background and my collection of guitars, click here 

“...for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea” (Isaiah 11: 9b)