EL3222: Class Participation (Oral)

Class participation (oral) refers to any verbal contributions made by students during the EL3222 seminars. These inputs are usually voluntary, but students may be asked more formally to contribute to the discussion.

If you see a slide with the following background design, then you are invited to give comments on a particular idea or issue discussed in the class:

Occasionally, students may be asked to engage in discussion with fellow students before making their contribution.

Of course, it does not mean that you can only contribute if you see a slide with the above design. I encourage appropriate comments which do not disrupt the flow of my seminars. Not every comment will qualify you to get a good mark for class participation. In this regard, it must be borne in mind that quality is more important than quantity. There will also be opportunities to engage in class participation at appropriate points of the project presentations.

The following are some of the criteria used to judge your class contributions. The list is not exhaustive. Take note that not all the criteria are used all the time. One or more of them may be used for the particular contribution that you have made

  1. Relevance to the discussion at hand.
  2. Perceptiveness
  3. Usefulness to other students
  4. Application of the appropriate background knowledge (eg. from your general knowledge or from a previous lecture)
  5. A good example or examples from films

The following are discouraged:

  1. Irrelevant comments
  2. Regular attempts to dominate the sessions, and to reduce other students' opportunities to contribute.

Oral class participation will comprise 5% of the total marks for this module (another 5% will be awarded for your attendance, making 10% in all). Class participation of course represents the more open-ended means of assessment, as a contrast to the quiz and survey questions, with their closed sets of answers. As such, it may represent cognitive skills that are of a higher order than those required for the survey and quiz questions. However, one difficulty of giving  more marks to this assessment is that not many students can contribute on a regular basis, and the nature of their contributions is also inherently variable.

Last revised: 03 February 2012.