EL5221 Discussion: Session 2
Linguistics, Literature, Stylistics and Pedagogy
Discussion date: 22nd August 2006
Today's discussion session will concentrate on preliminary issues, mainly in
relation to lecture notes 1, and the further
readings recommended for lecture 1.
Discuss some of the issues found in lecture
notes no. 1:
Is the linguistic analysis of literature of relevance in
the teaching of literature or language? This is of course the topic of your
project as well. What are your views of the
following articles? Are they relevant to what you are interested in doing
for the project?
- As this is our second session and everyone doing the
module is (or should be) here, you should take the opportunity to introduce yourselves:
- Very basic personal details — name, full-time/part-time student,
profession (previous or present), etc.
- What do you hope to achieve by doing this module?
- What is literature? How do you define it? Are there boundaries to
what is and is not literature? You may be interested in looking at the
following, which is a corpus-driven study of what literature
is, according to a group of students surveyed:
- What is your highest attainment for the study of literature? Are you
familiar with all the terms defined on my page,
A Brief List of Some Key Terms in Literature?
21 June 2006