|  DESCRIPTION  |  READINGS  |  CONTENTS  |  EMAIL  |  ESSAY  |   EXAM FORMAT  | 

EL4252

English Language, Honours Year

Continuous Assessment

40 per cent of the final mark will depend on the end-of-term examination; 60 per cent will come from your continuous assessment.  The CA component will include assessments of:

Presentation

Each student is also expected to be involved in one group presentation, which should take place on Weeks 12 and 13. There appears to be about XXX signed up for EL4252 now, and this gives us Y groups of Z each. Try to make the presentation as attractive and interesting as possible.

You need to be in presentation groups, and sign-up is through LumiNUS. So that there is a decent coverage of discourse types, I will specify the kind of data that the groups will deal with.

I expect the presentation to be data oriented. During the presentation, you will be expected to

·       provide a quick round-up of the relevant bits of the framework

·       if necessary, provide a critique to the framework, and/or make appropriate modifications for your data

·       introduce your data (this can include your own recorded data, or data recorded off the media, or from novels, plays and films)

·       provide an analysis based on the framework assigned

·       suggest how this yields insights to your data

·       frame your presentation (ie include an appropriate introduction and conclusion; state the thrust of your presentation clearly; provide clear linkages between different parts of your presentation)

It is up to the group to decide how to divide up the work. Please remember that you need to be aware of what other members of the group are doing, and that if different people are in charge of different sections of the presentation, they should still dovetail nicely into each other. It is often useful to let one person be in overall charge of the presentation text.

Please be aware of time constraints. Each presentation should not run over 30 minutes to allow for questions and comments.

FAQs

Q. What's the required length of the data?

A. This wasn't specified in the stipulations. The main stipulation was that the presentation time limit was 30 mins and that some for the data at least needs to be introduced. People usually collect more data than they will require. Also, how much data will depend on what you do with the data. A more statistical approach can accommodate much more data. A more qualitative approach cannot.

Q. Need all the data be transcribed?

A. No, though it would probably be useful to keep notes or outlines of your data sets, and only transcribe in full the sections that you will analyse.

Q. Can I use non-spoken data?

A. Yes, you can argue that things like internet chat is highly interactional. But you must be aware of the effect of this MODE of communication. I've already mentioned literary dialogues (even Shakespeare!) and the like: again, be aware of the complex communication involved.

Q. Can I set up contrastive data to investigate the effects of a sociolinguistic variable (gender, age, education level, ethnicity, social class) or other variables like text type?

A. Yes, of course. Just be aware that this calls for something more sophisticated in 'setting up' your data, and ensuring that you have very compatible data and that the data sets are distinctive in terms of the variable under investigation.

Q. Will you specify or assign frameworks or tasks?

A. No. I find that how you will analyse your data depends very highly on the nature of your data, and my intention is not to straitjacket your research. So choose what you think is most relevant, helpful or interesting.

Q. Can I use frameworks not raised in the module?

A. Yes, that is not a problem provided you also use frameworks raised in the module. Remember you will then need to additional burden of introducing that new framework. If there's uncertainly, please get in touch with me.

Project report

Students in each group will be required to submit one group report, about 3,000 words in length. You may keep to the data analysed at the oral presentation, or you may tweak things for the report. There should be an introduction and statement of aim and conclusion which should ideally be jointly written, and sections which can be the responsibility of individual members (they should be named in the report). In most cases, the sections to highlight salient points of the data rather than provide a comprehensive analysis of the data. Although there might be individuals responsible for certain sections, please be familiar with the whole report, and make sure the report comes together coherently as a whole. Cross-referencing each other’s sections is a useful strategy.

All essays must be typed or printed on A4 paper (8¼ by 11¾ inches/210 by 297 mm) and double-spaced (or 1½-spaced). Double-sided printing is encouraged. Margins of at least one inch or 2½ centimetres all round are expected. I prefer you not to justify your right margin.

Spelling should be consistent and conform to that in the (Shorter/Concise) Oxford Dictionary. (If you word-process, please use the Spell Check facility — click Tools then choose Language, then choose English (Singapore) or English (UK).) Your language should be precise and explicit. A semi-formal style will be acceptable. There is no general injunction to avoid personal references (‘I selected this passage because it struck me as being …’), but avoid ‘I feel’, or ‘I think’ because we assume that your essay will evidently contain what you feel or think. Check your language for grammaticality, etc. because all infelicities in language will be penalised.

You may adopt any consistent system of citation, but all sources (of ideas, words, phrases, passages) must be acknowledged. Include a bibliography or reference list at the end of your essay.

You might remember that a guideline on essay writing for English Language was distributed with the History of English module. This will still hold true. Go to http://courses.nus.edu.sg/course/elltankw/history/writing.htm for a Web version if you have lost yours.. Again, this can be used for module essays as well.

The deadline for all reports is 8th November 2021.

Please check the group list

Back to lecture schedule

Back to module description