ABOUT HENRY  |  NEWS  |  AWARD  |  RESEARCH  |  PUBLICATION  |  SERVICE  |  CONFERENCE  |  TEACHING

A Brief Biography: At 11 years old, I left my birthplace Guangzhou, China, and emigrated with my family to Hong Kong in 1979. After seven years of secondary education in Hong Kong's Diocesan Boys' School (O-Level Class of 1986 and A-Level 1988), I came to Singapore in July 1988 to pursue my higher education and future life. I graduated with B.A. First Class Honours in Geography from the National University of Singapore in July 1992. I then obtained my Ph.D. from the School of Geography, University of Manchester in England in 1995 and returned to start my career at the Department of Geography, National University of Singapore. I was Lecturer (1996-1998), Assistant Professor (1998-1999), and Associate Professor (2000-2005). Since July 2005, I have been Professor of Economic Geography (download fulll CV May 2014).

Over the years, I have had a fortunate academic career and enjoyed great support from various friends, colleagues, and institutions. I was a recipient of the National University of Singapore Outstanding University Researcher Award 1998 and Outstanding Researcher Award 2008 and Institute of British Geographers Economic Geography Research Group Best Published Paper Award in 1998. During the 2002-2003 period, I was awarded the Commonwealth Fellowship and the Fulbright Foreign Research Award to spend my sabbatical leave at the University of Manchester, UK, and the University of Washington at Seattle, US. In February 2006, I led a team residency at the Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Study and Conference Center in Italy. In the second half of 2006, I was appointed as Visiting Researcher at the International Center for the Study of East Asian Economies (ICSEAD), Kitakyushu, Japan, the University of Auckland Distinguished Visitor, and Visiting Professor, University of Hong Kong. I also hold adjunct professorship and research positions at Henan University, China, and the Institute of Geographical Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China. Between 2007 and 2010, I was appointed Honorary Professorial Fellow, School of Environment and Development, University of Manchester, UK. In September 2012, I was conferred Academician by the Academy of Social Sciences in the UK (see FASS News). In November 2012, I took up a Writing Residency Fellowship at the Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Study and Conference Center in Italy. In 2013, I was on sabbatical leave at the University of Sydney, Australia, where I was appointed as Visiting Professor at the School of Geosciences.

My research interests cover broadly theories and the geography of transnational corporations, global production networks and global value chains, East Asian firms and developmental states in the global economy. I have conducted extensively research on Hong Kong firms in Southeast Asia, the regionalization of Singaporean companies, and the emergence of leading Asian firms in the global economy. I am currently working on two book projects: Strategic Coupling: East Asian Firms, Developmental States, and Global Production Networks (full manuscript under review at Cornell University Press) and Global Production Networks: Theorizing Economic Development in an Interconnected World (co-authored with Neil Coe and contracted with Oxford University Press for 2015 publication). To date, I have over 90 papers published in internationally-refereed journals (including over 20 papers in most of the Top 10 Geography journals and 50 papers in most of the Top 20 Geography journals ranked in the ISI Journal Citation Reports 2012) and over 40 chapters in edited books. During the past decade, I wrote three single-authored monographs: Transnational Corporations and Business Networks: Hong Kong Firms in the ASEAN Region (Routledge, London, 1998), Entrepreneurship and the Internationalisation of Asian Firms: An Institutional Perspective (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 2002), and Chinese Capitalism in a Global Era (Routledge, London, 2004) and co-authored another major economic geography textbook with Neil Coe and Phil Kelly: Economic Geography: A Contemporary Introduction (Blackwell, Oxford, 2007/2nd edition in 2013). I also edited and co-edited six books: Globalizing Regional Development in East Asia (Routledge, London, 2010), Handbook of Research on Asian Business (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 2007), The Globalization of Business Firms from Emerging Economies, Two Volumes (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 1999), Remaking the Global Economy: Economic-Geographical Perspectives (Sage, London, 2003), Globalization of Chinese Business Firms (Macmillan, London, 2000), and Globalisation and the Asia-Pacific: Contested Territories, (Routledge, London, 1999). Recently, I served as the economic geography section editor of almost 100 entries for the International Encyclopedia in Human Geography, 12 Volumes, Elsevier, 2009. I am now one of the ten Area Editors assisting the Editor-in-Chief in the forthcoming International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 25 Volumes, Elsevier, 2015.

Since 2001, I have served as an Editor of three prestigious social science journals (Environment and Planning A, Economic Geography, Review of International Political Economy 2004-2013), Asia-Pacific Editor of Global Networks: Journal of Transnational Affairs, and Business Manager of Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography. I also sit on the editorial boards of 17 other international journals in the fields of human geography, management, urban studies, area studies, and general social science, such as Asia Pacific Journal of Management, European Urban and Regional Studies, Journal of Economic Geography, Asia Pacific Viewpoint, East Asia: An International Quarterly, Eurasian Geography and Economics, and Growth and Change: A Journal of Urban and Regional Policy.

As of 26 May 2014, my work has been cited by over 1,820 publications abstracted in the ISI Social Science Citation Index and the ISI Arts and Humanities Citation Index (excluding self-citations). My work has more extensive influence in materials that can be searched via Google Scholar. According to the ISI Essential Science Indicators (2002-2012), I am now ranked 241st highly cited scientist among 4,672 entries in the field of Social Sciences, General. I am the author of No.1 and No.3 of the Top 5 papers from Singapore in Social Sciences, General. My 2002 jointly authored paper on global production networks, published in Review of International Political Economy, is currently ranked as No.2 top paper from Singapore in Economics and Business. In a 2010 ranking of 341 well cited human geographers published in Journal of Economic Geography (Vol.10), I was ranked 29th on the basis of my regular h-index of 19. On the basis of age-weighted h-index, I was ranked first among the Top 50 human geographers.

ACADEMIC SPECIALIZATION

Transnational Corporations in Southeast Asia
Developing Country Transnationals
Asian firms in the global economy
Hong Kong Firms in ASEAN
Theories of International Business and Production
Chinese Business Networks
Networks and Organisational Theories
Global Production Networks
Economic Geography
Economic Development in the Asia Pacific Region
Geography of International Business
Economic globalisation
Regionalisation of Singaporean firms

MY LOVELY KIDS (wife too shy lah!)

Great Ocean Road, Australia

2013 in Chatswood, Sydney (go Facebook for many more!)

Back to schools in Jan 2014

Department of Geography
National University of Singapore
1 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
Office: (65) 6516-6810; Fax: (65) 6777-3091
Email: HenryYeung@nus.edu.sg; Homepage: http://courses.nus.edu.sg/course/geoywc/henry.htm

Copyright © 2000 Henry Wai-chung Yeung
Last Updated on 27 May 2014